Monday, August 17, 2009

The foods we eat...

Eating, cooking & food choices/dilemmas will play a large role on this blog - so I might as well get started.

I suppose growing up in California has always had me in the "save the planet"/"watch what you eat" headspace my whole life. Without question, most of that can be attributed to my mom, who has always been a food & lifestyle hero - even though I'll admit I only appreciated once into adulthood. She recommended the book The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan, and that's when I really started to be more conscious about food choices based on multiple levels such as industry, export, fossil fuels, humane treatment and not just "Is this gonna make me fat, how much does it cost?"

The book deeply troubled me, made me really re-think my lifestyle, and inspired me to sketch out a million documentary ideas. In fact, it was a big factor in making me start this blog. Luckily for the rest of the world, a company with a much bigger wallet has gone and made the film Food Inc. which hopefully will inspire a few more people to think objectively about the stuff they put in their bellies.

Now, I haven't seen the film as it isn't out in Ireland yet, and admittedly, the opening sequence below does look a bit heavy handed, which ultimately could turn off a lot of people from taking away the message. As I've said before, I'm not vegetarian, I buy most food from large supermarkets, but I'd like to make a conscious effort to eek out food produced in a more sustainable/friendly way.

Below you can watch the opening credits, but def check out the full trailer here: FOOD INC. And the film's website: http://foodincmovie.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment