Tuesday, January 5, 2010

December like a Phoenix...

Home again, but still in dreamy holiday mode, and for good reason.

Oh hello, new friend, why... who are you?

Indeed, out of the ashes of a horrible November, December comes up in spades. My Dad is healthy, and I have an awesome new future to look forward to and just get to work on. Can't really complain now, can we?

Now to continue the adventures in the Southwest that I had begun in earlier posts...

I got to know my parents new digs - Red Mesa on the Navajo Reservation in Arizona, its Hogans, vast expanses, horses, dogs and goats.



My Dad had a hospital appointment so we took the nearly six hour drive to Phoenix, AZ - A sprawling desert American metropolis. We arrived nervous and left beaming. In between I got work done, bonded with my mom's new doggie, Lucky (the luckiest dog on the Rez) and we ate some of the most delicious food and wine that I can only describe in drool.


To those interested in one of the hottest pizza joints in America, we celebrated my Dad's good health news at Pizzeria Bianco, one of the toughest restaurants to get into. They only take reservations for parties of six to ten, and these are generally booked months in advance. Everyone else gets a table by queuing up outside until seats become available - the wait can be up to THREE HOURS! We were lucky that we turned up about 30 minutes before opening time, enjoying the brisk evening with bottle of wine while queuing outside. We managed to get in at the first seating, happy to be sitting at the bar.

We enjoyed amazing roasted veg antipasti and fresh fennel, orange & pomegranate salads - and then of course the amazing wood-oven pizzas that were fresh and light and just... delicious. Below you can see the Pizza Bianoverde - a white pizza with Fresh Mozzarella, Parmigiano Reggiano, Ricotta, Arugula (rocket!) YUM...

If you are in Phoenix, it is required dining: www.pizzeriabianco.com/


All this talk of pizza, I must feed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment