Friday, November 20, 2009

Recession hits home... literally

WOW
A lot can happen in a week. Life can go from normal to completely strange and unknown territory in the space of hours. It has been a very strange past couple of days, and I now feel like I have digested somewhat, my new state of affairs.

I think it's fair to say the recession has pretty much affected everyone in the past year or so; some positive (lower rents, lower prices) most negative (terrible budgets, loss of jobs etc.). Now I can count myself among the statistics as I just found out I'm being laid off. It's really strange, in my 15 years in the working world I have never lost a job. I've left plenty of jobs, and I've finished contracts, but I've never been let go.

I am strangely calm about the whole thing I have to say. Last Friday, when I found out, I was pretty much in shock. Now that it's sunk in a bit I am, of course, worried... but at the same time, I'm a little bit relieved. Meetings that have taken place over the last few months make a lot more sense, and I am also in the type of position that allows me to work on a freelance basis, which is something I always felt I would do, yet was too comfortable - and complacent - about the cushy full time position I held.

In a way, I'm a little bit excited, and scared, to see what the next couple of months have in store for me. It'll force me to be a lot more productive, and really stretch my muscles as an entrepreneur... which at my age, I should do!

I've always felt this blog lacked direction, and perhaps now it'll be my way of showing the world how I'm getting on. It'll be a little journal of how I'm surviving... Perhaps if I discover genius ways to be awesome on a majorly tiny budget. We'll just have to see how it goes... wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Jessie!
    I'm sure you're gonna come out on top.
    I was laid of from my job almost 2 years ago, and it was really, in retrospect, the best thing that could have happened to me. Somebody told me recently, "do what you love and money will follow." I'm finding those pearls of wisdom to be (to my amazement) strikingly true.

    ReplyDelete